Thursday, February 19, 2009


We have lived at our home for over 6 years now and I have always found it difficult to grow plants and flowers. Our soil here is mostly clay which is not good for growing plants or for our foundation for that matter. But I am always suprised at the volunteer plants that seem to pop up from time to time. Just the other day I noticed a plant pushing through one of the most dry and rocky spots in our yard, and now it has bloomed into beautiful purple flowers. I know it is some kind of bulb but was unaware that a bulb could remain dormant in the ground for 6+ years and then bloom so beautifully. I do not know what kind of flower it is but will enjoy it.

1 comment:

liasmomma said...

It's called a hycynth (sp?). They smell wonderful and the bulbs will re-seed themselves every year. They come in pink, purple, white and yellow. Lucky you to see flowers right now. We just got like 6 inches of new snow today :(
Hope your girls are doing well!!

Trish